Dental anxiety is a common problem that many individuals experience. It can be caused by a number of things, including a bad experience in the past, a fear of pain or needles, or a feeling of being powerless while the dentist is working on you. Whatever the reason, it’s critical to understand that dental anxiety is a significant issue that can be dealt with.
Keeping your mouth healthy requires routine dental exams. Your dentist will be able to see any early-stage issues and address them before the situation worsens during these sessions. By avoiding more involved and expensive dental procedures, you can save time and money in the long term.
Your oral health might suffer terribly if you put off dental exams because of your fear. Gum disease, tooth decay, and other significant dental conditions can all result from it. The result of these issues may then be pain, discomfort, or even tooth loss. Additionally, heart disease, diabetes, and stroke have all been associated with poor dental health.
Tips to Battle Dental Anxiety
Here are ten terrific dentist anxiety tips that will help you manage your anxiety and keep your smile healthy:
- Find a suitable dentist you can trust: It’s important to locate a dentist you can trust who is understanding of your anxieties and with whom you feel at ease. To choose a dentist that matches your needs, ask friends and family for referrals and peruse internet reviews.
- Share your concerns: Don’t be embarrassed to discuss your worries with your dentist. They may suggest methods that will help you maintain your composure throughout your session.
- Bring a friend: As support, think about bringing a close friend or relative to your visit.
- Schedule at a time that works for You: Choose a time when you can be as comfortable as possible and it works best for you.
- Practice your breathing: Breathing exercises might help you feel calmer and less anxious. Inhale deeply through your nose, then exhale slowly through your mouth.
- Use calming music: Playing soothing music might help you feel more at ease during your dentist appointment. Bring your favorite soundtrack and headphones to help you unwind.
- Use distraction techniques: When at your session, divert your attention by concentrating on anything else.
- Consider sedation: For individuals with extreme anxiety, sedation is occasionally a suitable choice. You should discuss your options for sedation with your dentist.
- Use positive affirmations: To alter your perspective and lessen worry, use positive affirmations. Say affirmations like “I’m safe” or “I’ve got this” repeatedly.
- Reward yourself: Lastly, treat yourself to something following your dentist visit. Give yourself a treat, such as your favorite food or pastime.
A form of dental treatment known as “sedation dentistry” uses medication to calm and soothe patients throughout dental operations. Patients with sensitive teeth, dental anxiety, or a phobia of needles may benefit the most from this method. Inhalation, oral, and IV sedation are some of the several methods by which sedation dentistry can be delivered.
Sedation dentistry may often give patients a relaxing and stress-free dental treatment. It can help patients feel more at ease and comfortable during sessions, and it can make dental operations more tolerable. It’s vital to keep in mind that not everyone is a good candidate for sedation dentistry, so it’s crucial to examine your alternatives with your dentist before deciding if it’s the best option for you. Your dentist may examine your medical background, gauge your degree of anxiety, and assist you in determining the optimum sort of sedation dentistry, if any, for your requirements.
At Sage Hill Dental, we understand that people may have concerns when it comes to dental appointments. Our dentist in NW Calgary makes sure you are comfortable and at ease with the entire procedure.